Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday AM, 7 June

Slept like the proverbial log last night. I'm in need of a nail spa and an Apple Store, natch, so I searched for a Yellow Pages. I guess they don't supply them to the hotels any more; I had to fire up the MacBook and look there. I found a couple of four-star nail salons but I'm put off by the "don't let the front of the building and the security locks fool you" reviews. I was wondering what people would steal from a nail salon but repeated references to sweat shops in other reviews make me think all the security is perhaps to keep people IN. Well, I've chosen two and will see how it goes. I'm not going for the full salon treatment, just two repairs. There's a shopping district called the Third Street Promenade that seems to have a lot going for it. I hope I can walk far enough to make it worthwhile.

Dinner at the hotel's IHOP last night. Got a small salad and some crepes stuffed with "garden vegetables". I must be getting old; the senior version of that would have suited me fine. It took a lot to finish the second crepe. I should have doggy-bagged it for breakfast this morning. But what wonderful veg in the crepes and the salad. I so miss California produce.

And the Brits are right -- not only do Americans not know how to make hot tea, but Lipton's is probably the most flavorless tea there is.

I'm learning to pack in bags. I have a bunch of various Eagle Creek containers in different sizes and colors that I pack with different things. I have the clothes envelope (sometimes two of them), the underwear bag, the computer bag (cables, chargers, iPod speakers), the bathroom bag (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, comb), the bedroom bag (creams, Kleenex, deodorant, vitamins, etc.), the bedside table bag (prescription meds, jewelry, water bottle), and the car bag (car chargers for the phones & TomTom, sunglasses, etc). It makes it so much easier to find anything because I know what bag it should be in. And TSA can open my suitcase without exposing everything I own to the whole world. I really recommend it. I got so ADD about packing this time that I think I'm going to buy duplicates of what I use at home so I can keep a set in each bag and not worry about anything but clothing.

What I forgot to bring: seat belt extender. Luckily American put me in a seat with the world's longest seat belt.

What I didn't bring that I wish I had: aspirin. To keep the suitcase under 50 pounds, I dispensed with ANYTHING that I could buy here. I forgot it might be 48 hours (or more) before I could buy it here. I take one aspirin a day as a blood thinner, and since I'm back to the heart problems, I have the feeling I shouldn't be doing without it.

What I will need to purchase: iPod speakers. My Altec Lansing system is about to bite the dust. Damn... it's been a great little workhorse with good sound and everything. But it's falling to pieces.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment